02 March, 2016

Sketch Wallet








I have wanted to make a wallet with a  zipper enclosure for a while. Choly Knight from Sew Desu Ne offered up a free tutorial a week or so ago and I got inspired.

Really inspired. Before sewing it once through, I added all sorts of amazing bits.
Which is bad!
Note to self: Please try to sew items the first time as per directed.







Above is my second attempt which is so much better than the first one.


Below is my first attempt.

What? You can't see what could be made better?


I immediately had to add a  see-thru vinyl zippered pocket. The attachment is onto the spine, which is floppy. I ironed on some SF 101 to the spine before sewing but it isn't enough. And then to add another pocket for it to support. Ahem.

After turning acrobatics, it comes out pretty wrinkled. Attempting to iron it smooth, I scorched my pretty Summersville fabric store.



Then, I got my iron too hot because now my interfacing won't lie smooth. Anymore.
(I pre-shrunk that interfacing too!)
I hated - okay - disliked the pellon decor bond 803 that Choly had you add to the outer sections to stiffen them up.

On a good note, I did not burn a hole in my vinyl pocket.

I also tried out a metal zipper because I had one in the exact length. I actually liked the metal teeth on this wallet, but there wasn't enough sub-structure to support this heavier zipper.

I love how my second one turned out.

First off, I used a nylon zipper - as called for in the directions! and following my recent success at putting zipper pulls back onto zipper tape, made it a double pull zipper. You can unzip from both directions.


Secondly, I ditched my awesome extra vinyl pocket. I may add it back in.



Thirdly? I looked around my sewing room for something to add to make the outsides stiffer. I found these disposable meat cutting boards. I originally bought these for camping but they have migrated into my sewing room for making templates.

So useful here. I cut two a little smaller than the outside dimensions, rolled them up and inserted them and mushed them into place with my fingers. Then I sewed this seam shut (open from turning it inside out).

Musing on needing a stiffer outside, I thought about inserting peltex (pellon 70) inside but that stuff is thick - about 1/16" thick. The plastic was much thinner and works perfectly.




Seriously awesome sturdy sketch wallet.
Now, I need to go shopping for a sketch book that fits.

Have you jumped on the adult coloring book bandwagon?
Zentangle anyone?


 

Blue sketch fabric is from Riley Blake's "Rocket Age".
Ticket fabric came from Japan.
Cork fabric (New love - it does NOT fray and looks amazing) was purchased from this seller.    The cork helped to give this structure as well - home dec weight. 



7 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That's a definite "must make"! The MIB clip made me laugh, not for the obvious reason but because we watched that movie tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my stars I was going to compliment the cork fabric, but then I reread your post - do you mean it's MADE of cork, and isn't just PRINTED with cork?!! I recognize that scene from MIB - I love that series, and love LOVE me some Will and some TLJ *swoon* :) Nice job on the Sketch Wallets - I would have changed it up too, most likely - just to do things my own way, and because I don't often follow tutorials exactly :) I'm glad your second one worked out better - especially since it was the one using that gorgeous cork fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real cork - sustainable from Portugal. It's adhered to a backing fabric. It's thinner than leather. Sews up better than pleather which stretches.

      Delete
  3. I really like the look of the cork book you made. Looks super cool! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressed with those rounded zipper corners. Those are always so tricky. Your second one came out really nice. I bet that cork feels really soft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen cork that you can sew with. Like Sandra, I thought it was fabric printed with cork. What a beautiful finish this would give to the wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've featured your fab sketch wallet today, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. My heart goes pitter-patter every time there is a new one.